To get to know just how amazing Chloe is, we decided to play a game of 21 questions.
1. Why did you join Teen Line?
One of my mentors who I really admired came to a class of mine to give a speech about Teen Line, and I felt immediately connected to the cause and all he had to say.
2. How long have you been with Teen Line?
I have been with Teen Line since the summer of 2016. I was 14 when I started.
3. How have your grown as a person since started volunteering at Teen Line?
Teen Line has taught me how to be not only a great listener in times of crises, but also a great friend and shoulder to lean on.
4. What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
The best advice I’ve ever been given is to treat others the way that you want to be treated.
5. What brings you the greatest satisfaction?
My greatest satisfaction comes from feeling really connected with the people around me.
6. My perfect day ends with?
My perfect day ends with Stand Up comedy and a good hug.
7. If you can have any job in the world, what would it be?
I want to be a social worker in the future, but for a long time my dream job was to be on Broadway.
8. If there was plane that could take you anywhere in the world, where would it take you?
I would go to France! I have been taking French for five years.
9. What do you do for self-care?
I play lots of guitar, talk it out with my family, and watch plenty of stand-up comedy to make myself laugh.
10. Who do you admire and why?
I admire my father a lot for being such an openly vulnerable and compassionate man. He is my favorite shoulder to cry on.
11. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
I am a very extroverted person, so I think people may be surprised to know that I actually have social anxiety.
12. What is one thing you wish you knew when you were younger?
I wish I knew that it was okay to be unapologetically myself (even if some people don’t like that person).
13. What song can you listen to and never get tired of?
“Didn’t Know What I Was In For” by Better Oblivion Community Center
14. Give me one reason why someone should call Teen Line?
I cannot think of one reason to call Teen Line, but I think it is important for people to know that if they feel at all alone or in need of support, we are here to help people get through those moments and help them find ways to cope beyond a phone call.
15. What was your most rewarding call while working on the Teen Line Hotline?
My most rewarding call while at Teen Line was with a teenage boy who had felt suicidal. He called in to talk about his depression and his past attempts to take his life. Through talking, we ended up bonding over books, music, and many other shared interests. The caller ended up finding coping mechanisms that he felt really hopeful about, and he felt incredibly different by the end of the call than he had when he dialed our number. It was one of the few calls I had a really hard time hanging up from.
16. What makes a good Teen Line listener?
Someone who lacks a judgemental attitude and understands the importance of seeking support and giving support.
17. How can we change decrease mental health stigma?
We can change or decrease the mental health stigma by encouraging others to speak up when they need help. The more we make ourselves available as sources of support, the more others feel comfortable to seek our guidance or come to us in a time of need. Opening up to others about our own mental health and seeking support ourselves is also a very important part of the process.
18. One thing I’m exceptionally good at:
19. One thing I’m epically bad at:
20. What will you miss most when you graduate?
Teen Line, my family, and the feeling of support from those around me (independence is both incredibly liberating and incredibly terrifying all at once)
21. What is your favorite part about Teen Line?
Every part. I feel like it’s my home.
The Teen Line Food for Thought Brunch will be on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at the UCLA Meyer & Renee Luskin Conference Center. We will be honoring Chloe as well as other admirable teen volunteers. For event and ticket info, click here.